Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Bullies to the North

Things in South Korea are very much "business as usual." I've gotten a handful of really kind and considerate messages from both people I currently know and also many from those I've known in the past. I truly appreciate every last one for taking a second to think about me.

Since I don't really believe in having millions of Facebook status updates and since a lot of other people here (on my timezone and whose mini-feeds it would be stinkin' up) I'm going to post any and all updates on here.

I'm not worried. Neither my embassy, nor the embassies of my other expat friends have issued any kind of warning. In fact, they've done quite the opposite. They addressed the issue via email about a week ago, saying that they have not changed their recommendations to and from Korean. They also do not recommend that foreigners living in Korea, take any special precautions. I trust that if credible intelligence came in about a specific threat, we would be informed.

Furthermore, I'm not going to worry until the locals worry. And they're not worried.... so I'm not worried. I refuse to let my daily life be disrupted by, what is basically North American media-hype.

I would like to shake the hand of the author of this article, because finally a major publication has published an ACCURATE assessment of the situation. Dear Lord, please let a TV news station pick this up....

NY Times
"Stay Cool. Call North Korea's Bluff."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/10/opinion/stay-cool-call-north-koreas-bluff.html?_r=1&

No comments:

Post a Comment