Monday, July 29, 2013

Cambodia: Getting there

I'm in Cambodia!

Roughly a full 24 hours after I left my apartment, I touched down in Phnom Penh. It was a pretty eventful voyage, too.

Left my apartment at 6:30pm thinking my train was at 7. It was 7:15. Whoops. The train ended up being 30mins late getting to its destination for some reason... which was particularly annoying because it was supposed to be the fast train. It should have made the trip in 3 hours and 40 minutes; not 4hours and 10minutes. It made me worry a little that I would miss the last airport train, but I made it in plenty of time. Sat on that train for another 40mins.
As I was walking through Incheon Airport, I encountered this really cool hallway between the metro station and the terminal hall.

Naturally, the airport jimjilbang was full (the spa-type place where I was going to spend the night). I knew of another so I ran up to the info desk on the arrivals floor and girl told me that the jimjilbang down the road was "no," which I took to mean that it was closed (in hindsight, she may have only been telling me that there was no bus to get there). So I went back downstairs to beg for a spot, and by the time I got there someone had checked out so I was able to get in!

Showered and got a good soak in before I tried to sleep. Everyone was already sleeping, so I had the whole sauna area to myself! I was able to sneak a few pictures of the facilities.

Unfortunately, empty sauna means full common area. All the sleeping mats were taken, so I had to get creative... I slept on one of the wicker benches in the locker room. I figured whenever the noise of people in the room woke me up, that would mean that mats had become available in the sleeping rooms. I was right. In total, I slept off and on for about 2 hours on the bench and then another 2 hours pretty steadily on the floor mat in the sleeping area.
The lines for check in were the longest I've ever seen. I waited for about 45 minutes! They were checking in 2 international flights at the same time, which were 5 minutes apart in departure times. Security and immigration were also pretty bad. It was about a 15-20 minutes wait total.  Incheon Airport is usually really quick and easy to get through, but that morning was really tough.

Made it to the gate in perfect time. Boarded. I've never seen such insufficient leg room on an airplane. Even on the discount airline Air Asia. It was a pretty miserable 5ish hours.

Super easy transfer in Ho Chi Min City. The flight between HCMC and Phnom Penh was only 40mins! The taxi driver I had was also really cool and explained to me about what was going on with the elections that day.

The hostel is nice an has a good restaurant. Last night (was starving, by the way) I had a chicken pesto wrap and pumpkin soup. Both were pretty good.

I went to bed really early because I was so tired from the travel and having a very full belly.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing today. I have 2 days worth of plans to cover. I'll probably head down to the restaurant to see if anyone has anything they're planning to do today and maybe if our ideas line up I can head out with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment