Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Seattle


Pike Place Market
Seattle was really cool. I hate arriving in a new place after dark because I feel like it always ends up feeling creepier than it actually is. I arrived sometime around dark, checked-in, and immediately went in search of food. There were a lot of homeless and seemingly intoxicated people in the area around the hostel, so I encountered a bit of leering and a few crude comments as I passed.

The first fill day was pretty rainy, but I decided to go on foot anyway. I wandered down towards Pike Place Market. I did the super-touristy thing and got a coffee from the original Starbucks, after which I literally meandered for maybe 2 hours between the market and the downtown shopping area. I got lunch in the market, and then continued wandering. Around 2:30, I sat myself in the Pike Brewing Company with the sample beer rack. I met 2 interesting guys to chat with for a while, and was absolutely floored when I went to pay the bill and one had paid for me. It was so nice!

After a day of walking and all that beer, I was pretty tired so I went to bed super early. 

Chihuly Garden and Glass piece
Day two was rainier than day one. Went on foot anyway. I went over to the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit, and was tempted to go up into the Space Needle. The weather was so crap that I decided to skip it for the day, and instead I went back to the Pike Place. I really liked it there. I ended up going back there later that night, too, with my friend Maggie. She is another one of my Korea friends. I was really excited to be able to see her and grateful to have a local friend to show me a couple of cool spots.

Lake Union from the Space Needle
Day three had great weather!! I booked it over to the Space Needle while the weather was still nice, and managed to get a pretty decent view. While up there, I mapped out a course to Lake Union to check out the boats and some seaplanes (ok, and I also wanted to be able to say that I was on the lake that is home to the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat). After all that walking, I was tired pretty early. I managed to find some Cambodian takeout, and after I scarfed that down, I packed and passed out.

Maggie and I striking a Korea-inspired pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment