Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Hot Date with Ben & Jerry's

Yesterday I was flipping through the coupon booklets that come in the mail and noticed a Ben & Jerry's coupon for $1 off. Score! To make the deal even sweeter, Stop & Shop had it on sale s for $5! This was a deal I couldn't pass up!

I'm less likely to eat too much ice cream when its in the house. Backwards, I know. Whenever I go out to grab ice cream from a local place, I always want to waffle cone- which comes with a ton of ice cream. If I have it at home, I can usually keep myself to 1-2 scoops worth. This helps me keep the calories and the cost at bay (regular $2.99 for a pint vs. $4.50 for a waffle cone w/ 3 scoops).

I like Ben & Jerry's; as far as ice cream from the grocery store goes, I think they're the best. I like frozen yogurt and gelato, too-- but I'm most likely to reach for ice cream. I grabbed a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and a Red Velvet Cake.

I was looking at the packaging during my taste-testing last night and was prompted to go to their site. They have a lot going on on there. I clicked through for a while and found myself in the "Issues We Care About." I was impressed. Here is what they have:

  • Support GMO Labeling
  • Climate Justice
  • Marriage Equality
  • Peace Building
  • Get The Dough out of Politics
  • Fairtrade
  • rBGH

Each section has a short description of how they've dedicated themselves to each initiative. Definitely worth a look. In the end, ice cream is still ice cream and eating copious amounts of it would likely have a negative impact on your health. However, in my opinion, Ben & Jerry's is a brand I can reach for and feel good about. The ice cream tastes good, its juuust expensive enough that I need to make it last (and won't likely binge), and they have have a pretty sound business model.

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
What other brands have you encountered that are socially conscious? 

No comments:

Post a Comment