Monday, April 22, 2013

The food you put into your body can either heal you or kill you.

If you know me at all, you know I've been on a bit more of a health kick recently. Everyone goes through the phases, but I think this one is here to stay. After watching a few documentaries and hooking onto a few healthy living Youtube channels, I'm ready for a life change. I previously tried to live under the "everything in moderation" approach. I'll continue on with that, but there are some things I will be *trying* to cut out completely. Soda has to go. I always knew it was bad for me, but I never realized how bad it was. A girl I knew (and was always a little in awe of because of her ability to stay thin through university) recently posted a documentary that is REALLY EYE-OPENING. It's called Hungry for Change (had to watch the Youtube version in installments) and it will put you off soda forever. I'm not going to punish myself... if I want a Jack and coke-- I'll allow myself that. However, I'm going to resist the sodas with dinner or buying it to have in the house. I know that when dining out, the options are really limited for drink choices. I think water will need to be my drink of choice from now on.

I'm a moderately-active individual person. I'm a teacher, so I'm always on my feet. I guess I'm lucky that my job has me on my feet, so I'm spending a few more calories than I would if I had a sedentary job. I go to the gym about 3 times each week. So why haven't I been seeing the results I'd like? I think its because I haven't been making the right choices with my food. A few of my own ideas, along with a few suggestions from SarahFit's Youtube channel, I think I now have a good foundation for the future. Here is what I've started with (or will be adding in this week):

(and these have been gradual week-by-week)

-NOT altogether cutting out snacks I like, but rather portioning them out into 100-cal packs. I make sure to have one with lunch or with my afternoon snack so I don't go crazy at dinner.

-Popping almonds periodically throughout the day. If I'm a little peckish, I'll have 5-10 almonds with a few wasabi peas (because I like them!) and it helps take the edge off because almonds are so high in protein and good fats.

-I've added in a running program into my workouts. By adding muscle (which increases your metabolism, and therefore your caloric need), I feel like I have a little room to work with in my eating plans so I don't need to feel guilty about my naughty snacks.

-Soda ban (starts this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment