Monday, April 27, 2015

My Top 5 Friendship Songs

I recently returned from an awesome road trip to Canada to do another round of visits with my friends just over the border. As I was driving, I had my iPod on shuffle and it ordered a few songs in a row after which I thought, "Wow, those have some pretty good lines about friendship."

Of the top 5 I came up with, 3 are actually about friends and 2 have lines I consider pretty powerful ideas about what friendship means to me. So here we go!

(5) We Get On :: Kate Nash

The song is about a girl who really likes this guy and he just has no idea she even exists. She then sees him kissing another girl and has a meltdown. This is what her friends did for her:

And my friends were like whatever
You'll find someone better
His eyes were way too close together
And we never even liked him from the start
And now he's with that tart
And I heard she done some really nasty stuff
Down in the park with Michael
He said she's easy
And if your guy's with someone that's sleazy
Then he ain't worth your time
'Cause you deserve a real nice guy

If you're female, at some point in your life you've been talked off that ledge, so you know how valuable that chat can be.

(4) La La Lie :: Jack's Mannequin

I think I picked this song less because of the lyrics and more because of the memories and feelings it conjures. I first encountered it in university when I was a part of a few really tight-knit groups. Regardless, the few lines about friends, do pretty much hit the nail on the head:

I've got friends who
La La Lie
Will help me pull through
La La Lie

To the point, needs no explanation.

(3) Cher Lloyd & Becky G :: Oath

This song is just plain adorable. It's basically about trouble-making best friends. Not sure why Cher Lloyd decided to go the sexy route with the costuming, but whatever... its an up-beat song about girl friends.

I know I drive you crazy, mm, sometimes
I know I call you lazy, and that's most times
But you complete me, and that's no lie
You are my tuxedo, and I'm your bow tie

In my opinion, real friends can argue and call each other out.... thanks for pointing that out, Becky G.

(2) Song For a Friend :: Jason Mraz

Jason Mraz is brilliant and covers a wide spectrum of topics with his music. I particularly like this song because its like a love song, but for a friend. It can be argued that the song is really about loving yourself, which I think makes it an even stronger addition to the list. You can't really be a good friend until you learn how to love yourself. So, I think it works regardless.

As long as you got me
And I got you
You know we'll got a lot to go around
I'll be your friend
Your other brother
Another love to come and comfort you
And I'll keep reminding
If it's the only thing I ever do
I will always love
I will always love you

See, doesn't that give you the warm'n'fuzzies?!

(1) Fall Back Down :: Rancid

Not the most soothing of songs, but definitely lovey if you actually listen to the words. Its basically about a guy going through a tough time and knowing that he has his friends- and knows that even when biddies come and go- friends will remain a constant.

I'm very lucky to have my crew
They stood by me when she flew
I've been knocked out, beat down, black and blue
She's not the one coming back for you
She's not the one coming back for you
If I fall back down, you're gonna help me back up again
If I fall back down, you're gonna be my friend

I think the reason this tops my list because he says he knows he is lucky to have his friends. It's one thing to know that they'll be there... or to tell them that you love them.... but there is a real maturity in knowing that on top of all that-- that you're lucky to have them.

Very Honorable Mention =  Africa :: Toto

This one has a little less to do with the words and a lot more to do with the company kept while listening to/preforming this little diddy.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

Powerful words right there. I hope their new album has gems like this. Yes, you read that right.... a brand new Toto album!! I... can't even.

No comments:

Post a Comment