Saturday, May 2, 2015

Mean, green, lean and damn good!

You know me. You know I like to get the good stuff in so I will have less room for and less inclination towards crappy foods. This is my warm-weather go-to smoothie: sweet, tropical flavor and it blends really nicely.
Ingredients:
This is for an approximately 16oz serving.
  • pineapple = frozen, I use about 1/3 cup
  • mango = frozen, about 1/3 cup
  • spinach = fistful
  • avocado = 1/4 to 1/3 of an avocado
  • cilantro = a few sprigs, to taste
Add a little water or chilled green tea to thin it out a little. If you're taking it on the run, you'll want it to be a little on the thinner side- the thicker the consistency, the more difficult it will be to drink on the go!

I like this recipe because it has a pretty solid nutrient content. While it may not contain huge amounts of any one nutrient, the list is impressive:: vitamin a, beta carotene, b2, b3, b5, b6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin c, vitamin e, calcium, chromium, flouride, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorous, potassium, riboflavin, zinc

A few blending tips:
  • When you're making smoothies, you want to make sure that the more fibrous and/or the lighter ingredients should be the closest to the blade. I use a NutriBullet, so when I'm filling the cup thingy, I add the heaviest items first and end with the lightest. This way, when I screw on the blade attachment and flip it upside down the ingredients that need the most slicing and dicing are pushed down onto the blade by the heavier stuff. For a regular stand blender, add the light stuff first- remember, you want the lighter stuff near the blade.
  • Always add a liquid. I usually opt for tea or water, but I use one borrowed smoothie recipe that calls for apple juice. For my palate, anything other than tea or water makes the concoction too sweet.
  • Press start and walk away. Something about the noise the blender makes, usually compels me to stop it too quickly and the smoothie ends up chunkier than I prefer. Turning it on and then doing something else for a minute or so allows it to work for a sufficient amount of time, and makes it nice and smooth.
  • If you're going to add yogurt, do it after its the consistency you want. 

What are your favorite smoothie recipes?
Offer up any creative cilantro recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment