Monday, June 24, 2013

Leadership

I can't really say that I've been able to use a lot of my leadership skills the past few years. I try to step up and do things when possible, but I'm seriously itching to get myself into a job where I can have a more significant role.

This year is my second year coordinating a local group to go to MudFest. Last year it had a lot of its own little hitches. This year's hitch was a pretty big one. After I set up the event on Facebook, some foreigners from other nearby cities hopped in as well. Considering the Yeosu numbers were a little low, I didn't see the problem. Then, I checked the attendees and it was more than 1/2 out-of-towners and I had been asked by a few people "if there was still room" for them because of all the people. After a lot of thinking and a little lamenting about not wanting to do it, I had to step up and tell the non-Yeosuites that they would need to make their own plans. Things had snowballed and the number of people had gotten SO large that it was going to be difficult to coordinate such a large group.

The hardest part about it was having to say "no." I'm a people-pleaser. I want to make everyone happy, but there was no way I was going to be able to do that. I found it difficult feeling like I was "letting people down;" but the options were either to put it off and hope things work out, or cut it off early while they still have time to plan something for themselves.

Additionally, the bus we are chartering is going to be loosely connected to my school, and I'm not comfortable to be responsible for people I don't know. I'm cool with being a bitch if I need to be with people I actually know; because they'll understand the contrast between why I'm acting like that at that exact moment, and how I act normally.

Unfortunately, I know needing to cut some people off is not going to gain me any popularity points, but its what had to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment