Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Accomplishments

Why does it seem to be that the only "accomplishments" that are celebrated are engagement announcements, weddings, pregnancies, and job promotions? This seems really unfair to me.

What about those of us who have had huge, life-changing experiences that have nothing to do with jobs or relationships? Where is our congratulations or shout-out?

I've accomplished a lot in the past several years: moved across the planet, traveled most of Asia, hiked the same mountain like 30 times, cut out sugar, got really attached to several hundred Korean children, semi-learned an Asian language, visited a country that just recently was opened to tourists, visited the Angkor temples TWICE. Some of those things took a lot more guts (ok, maybe not more guts, but a different kind of guts) than just progressing with my life in the conventional way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy for all my friends who are getting engaged, having babies, or moving up the ladder at work.... but why is it that their accomplishments are the only ones that seem to be noted? Not that I need to be recognized and have my ego stroked; but it seems that those of us who have taken to alternate lifestyles or have chosen to take a different path where we do not hit all the conventional milestones, we don't get the same praise. 

So.... I'm going to go ahead and congratulate myself on all the cool things I've done. There-- I just pat myself on the back.

[1. With friends headed to Ultra Korea]  [2. First of two trips to the Angkor Temples in Siem Reap, Cambodia]  [3. Relaxing on a beach in Halong Bay, Vietnam]  [4. Flag and sunrise on the Ayeyarwaddy River in Myanmar (Burma)]  [5. Saying goodbye to 1st graders who I had taught since they were in pre-k]  [6. Climbed Goobong Mountain for the 10th time]  [7. Did the Color Run in Seoul with 5 of my favorite girls!]  [8. Got a turtle.....]  [9. Finally made it to Kuala Lumpur to see the Petronas Towers]

No comments:

Post a Comment